The dryer is a frequently used appliance, especially if you have kids at home and you always need to do the laundry. However, did you know that seemingly unharmful appliance can be a fire hazard? According to the U.S. Fire Administration’s National Fire Data Center, over 80 percent of the reported structure fires in the US started with a blocked dryer vent.
Below are some of the symptoms of a clogged dryer vent:
- Your clothes are still damp after a drying cycle
- There is a musty smell in your clothes after using the dryer
- The clothes are unusually warm after a drying cycle
- When the dryer is running, the exterior hood flap does not open
- It has been more than a year since you last have it cleaned
- Drying time always exceeds 40 minutes
- When the dryer is operating, the room gets unusually hot
- Lint and debris accumulates in the lint trap
Benefits of Having Your Dryer Vent Cleaned
Look for a reliable professional who can do dryer vent cleaning LV area if want to enjoy the following benefits:
- It can help prevent fire.
Because dryer lint is highly flammable, clothes dryers are responsible for over 15,000 structure fires in the US annually. Hence, making sure that your dryer vent is not clogged goes a long way in terms of fire prevention.
- It can prevent dangerous fumes.
A blocked dryer vent can release toxic fumes such as carbon monoxide. You wouldn’t obviously want carbon monoxide to spread in your home because it is poisonous. In fact, thousands of people get treated for inhaling toxic gases every year because of a clogged dryer vent.
- It can help you save money and the environment.
A clean dryer vent ensures that your dryer operates efficiently and allows you to save up to 30 percent in energy spending. Because of this, it is recommended to have your lint screen and vent cleaned regularly. Failing to do so will make your dryer less efficient and it would have to run for a longer period of time. This doesn’t only make you spend more on electricity costs, but also contributes to global warming.
- It can help make your dryer last longer.
Just like any other appliance, your dryer will have longer lifespan it is cleaned and maintained properly. Neglecting your dryer vent and keeping the vent clogged will require the appliance to work doubly hard; therefore, leading to faster wear and tear.
- It can prevent animal nesting.
When the dryer vent is blocked, the exterior duct hood flap will not be able to close the way it should. Hence, small animals such as birds may nest on this warm spot.
Knowing the different benefits of a clean dryer vent should be enough reason for you to have it maintained on a regular basis. While you can always take on a DIY approach, it is more practical and hassle-free to avail a professional dryer vent cleaning service. In this way, you can be sure that the task will be done right the first time and you won’t run the risk of damaging the appliance.